All activities should be supervised by an adult. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Get easy activities delivered to your inbox that’ll make your kids think you’re a genius for always having a fun activity up your sleeve! Join for FREE!
Salt painting is a fun process art activity to do with kids. It’s easy to set up and the results are really beautiful!
This simple snowflake salt painting activity combines both science and art for an easy winter STEAM activity.
You can prepare this activity in just a couple of minutes using items you already have at home.
Download the free snowflake template or draw your own snowflakes on cardstock and prepare yourself for some awesome magic!
Supplies Needed for Snowflake Painting with Salt
- Snowflake template (download below)
- White cardstock
- Liquid watercolors
- or water and food coloring
- White glue
- A little bit of water
Watch the full tutorial video here before you get started!
Snowflake Painting with Salt Instructions
1. First, print off our template on cardstock paper (download below).
2. Trace the snowflakes with glue.
3. Sprinkle a good amount of salt onto the glue. Make sure to cover all the glue or the color won’t run over that part.
4. Then, carefully shake off the excess salt from your paper. When you’re done with this activity, scoop up the salt and store it in a bag and use it later for another salt craft.
5. Add a small amount of water to your watercolor solution to keep the color vibrant or mix a few tablespoons of water and food coloring.
6. Now it’s time to start painting and watch the magic happen! Gently tap the salt with the paintbrush and watch the colors magically spread as the salt soaks up the watercolor from the brush.
Note: Make sure that you’re not getting too much water when you’re painting or the paper will get too wet.
Keep painting until you’ve painted all of your snowflakes!
You can also write your names with glue and salt, and make other patterns and pictures.
7. Once you’re done, set aside your painting to dry.
To get instant access to the Snowflake Template enter your name and email into the form below and click the “Get it now!” button.
Want more Winter Activities?
Make sure to check out this Printable Winter Activity Pack for Preschool.
If you enjoyed this post and would like to keep it close to you at any time, just save THIS PIN to your Winter Crafts or Kids Art Activities Pinterest board.